Füssen



Construction of the Neuschwanstein Castle took seventeen years (1869 – 1886), and it is still not actually finished.

The road leading up to the castle entrance is closed to normal traffic. From here, you can take a nostalgic horse-drawn carriage ride to the castle, or hop on an old-fashioned shuttle bus. It is worth tackling the ascent to Ludwig’s version of the legendary Castle of the Holy Grail on foot.

Hohenschwangau Castle
First mentioned as Castle Schwanstein in the 12th century as the residence of the Schwangau nobility. In 1832, Crown Prince Maximilian, later King Maximilian II of Bavaria, acquired the ruin and commissioned stage designer Domenico Quaglio to restore it in English Tudor style. The castle was used as a summer residence and was where young Ludwig II spent a very happy childhood.

Linderhof Palace
King Ludwig II commissioned the construction of Linderhof Palace and park land in a secluded area of mountain solitude between 1874 and 1878. The inspiration and template for this Rococo palace came from the sphere of Louis XIV of France, the Sun King.